Wednesday, June 27, 2007

La Jetée


I saw an exhibition of Chris Marker's photography not long ago at Wexner Center, which made me more eager to watch his masterpiece La Jetée (1962)composed of still images. Finally saw this 28-min long sci-fi on YouTube and was totally overwhelmed! It keeps lingering in my dream. I was amazed by the idea in Terry Gilliam's 12 Monkeys, now I know it is just a mainstream movie version of La Jetée.

Rather than feeling inside the filmic time, the viewer remains in a more detached position due to the use of still images. Time gets fragmented and frozen, catching the most memorable images, memory and impressions from the characters, which results in an incredible sense of melancholy, poetry and haunting. The movie is an extreme montage, something between film and photography, between narrative and documentary.

No comments: